Urban Hijau is more than a park or garden. We are a living and breathing example of organic sustainable farming, right in the middle of the city! Urban Hijau is a planned sustainable social enterprise, using permaculture as a means to unite people, generate profit and preserve the planet simultaneously. The site which will serve as the Urban Hijau center is the plot located at Jalan 3/71B, Kg. Sungai Penchala, 65000 Kuala Lumpur.
INCREASE AWARENESS, GROW ORGANIC FOOD & SHARE GOOD HEALTH
Our main Objectives of the farm include:
- Use the site as a venue for community and team building, and to engage with different sections of society interested in urban farming and sustainability
- Act as a showcase for various permaculture practices and sustainable farming methods to the wider public.
- Provide education on healthy organic growing/eating/living options and offer training in practices mentioned above
- Provide fresh and health produce (vegetables, fruits, etc.) to either sell or give back to the larger community
- Organize various events for people to come together to learn and share through workshops, talks, tours and other activities
- Establish a seed bank and a nursery to spread the plants to others interested in starting their own journeys
WORKING SYSTEM FOR THE URBAN FARM
Urban Hijau being located smack within the city, aspires to showcase as many different ways as possible to allow the visitors to become aware of the methods.
Various such examples like Rain Water Harvesting, Worm Farms, Compost Piles, Aquaponics and others are already set up as an example.
And at every corner of the farm, a diverse array of plants just melts into one another. Fragrant mint, Indian Borage and other herps fill many spaces with flowers mixed within them. Even speciality fruit trees like the Fig are also present is several locations.
Recently, with the help of volunteers, a list of the various species of plants and trees were documented and more than 120 plants were listed. There are many more and we will link the list of all the plants later in the website.
The whole idea is to create a natural diversity where the life on the farm works together and thrives, while producing the abundant harvest we enjoy.
Using Permaculture as the guiding light, Urban Hijau aims to become a model farm, and share what we do with others so there will be a sustainable organic farm in every city, in Malaysia and beyond.
How Urban Hijau Started
The permaculture movement in Malaysia has started way back in the 1990s, but only a few people really saw the future and benefits of good health from such a comprehensive method.
While more and more students started taking up classes like the Permaculture Design Certificate Course (PDC in short), the awareness has also grown over the years.
It was from such a class of students who did the PDC in 2013 with Rhamis Kent, that the start of Urban Hijau as a social enterprise – were rooted.
The students from the class decided to put what they had learnt into practice and being lucky to be offered a plot of land, they started the work on the organic farm in the city.
Being a volunteer effort, the enterprise took its time to build the farm. Over the years, having various volunteers and interns, the farm started to take shape and produce fresh fruits and vegetables. All the proceeds from the sales are put back into the farm to bring it to the next level.